Tips on Finding the Right Second-hand Vehicles for Sale
Is it time for a new car? Whether you are looking to upgrade to a better brand and model of vehicle or if your existing vehicle has seen better days, there is a second-hand car out there for you that can get you from A to B in style and comfort, without breaking the bank. When shopping around for one of the numerous second-hand vehicles offered for sale, there is no doubt that you will be spoilt for choice, but not all pre-owned cars are a good buy. The first step to ensuring that you make a sound purchase and do not end up with a lemon is to ensure that you know what to look for. There are many attributes a decent second-hand car should have, and at RFS Auto, we would love to assist you with making the right selection. While you are shopping around and making comparisons, we would like to share a list of our top second-hand car buying tips with you:
- Compile a shortlist and do some research. Everyone has their favourite brands and models of vehicles and if you have a few of your own, it is best to chat to professional car sales executives and to do a bit of online research to see which vehicles are top performers. Of course, your requirements are going to be different to others’, so make sure that your list of vehicles meets those requirements before you are sold on the idea of any one particular vehicle.
- Make sure that you have a budget in mind before you start shopping. It is easy to get carried away when you start to see cars that you like in a lower price bracket than they are in brand-new. If a budget is important to you, only shop within that budget. If you are using a website, set the search parameters accordingly and if you are chatting to a sales consultant, make sure that you let them know what your budget is.
- If you are buying from a dealership, make sure that the vehicle is serviced, checked and certified. We have specialists on hand that check and test every vehicle we sell. This will provide much-needed peace of mind that you will get many years of service out of your “new” second-hand vehicle.
- Test drive the vehicle for more than just a few minutes. How comfortable you are driving the vehicle is an important deciding factor, but that is not the only reason you should take it for a 2-block test drive instead of just around the block. While driving the vehicle, some tell-tale signs of problems can present themselves. Listen for unexplained rattles and knocking, look for smoke from the exhaust and check the parking spot for any signs of leaks.
- Examine the vehicle’s history. All second-hand vehicles absolutely must come with a service history detailing every service and maintenance process that the vehicle has undergone in its life. It is also important to find out if the vehicle has been involved in any accidents as this can mean that problems crop up in the future that can be costly to repair.
- Do you need finance? Opt for a dealership when buying a second-hand vehicle. Many people are tempted by the option of buying a second-hand vehicle privately, but this can present a few problems. A private sale has no guarantee that the service history is verified and in most cases, it can be more difficult to acquire financial aid for a private purchase. RFS Auto’s in-house F&I specialists can assist you with your finance application. Our finance agreements are provided via WesBank.
We can assist you with selecting just the right vehicle for your needs. Our second-hand cars for sale are delivered fully registered and in compliance with all requirements. This means that there is less hassle and administration for you to deal with. If you would like to browse through the selection of second-hand vehicles we have for sale, you can do so conveniently via our website. We are also available to provide you with more information and advice on each vehicle that interests you. To book a test drive, learn more about our range, and to apply for vehicle finance, simply contact us via email or telephone today.